19th Jan, 2021

Dan's the man as teenager shines on City debut

Rob George 19th Jan, 2017

WORCESTER City boss Carl Heeley praised the impact of loan signing Dan Turner after the teenager made an impression in Monday’s 1-1 draw at Curzon Ashton.

Heeley dipped in to the loan market to capture the signing of the 18-year old striker from Port Vale ahead of the game.

Turner, who has made six first-team appearance for Port Vale and signed his first professional contract in the summer, looked lively with several efforts on the Curzon goal.

Speaking afterwards, Heeley said: “Dan is a young lad who came highly recommended from Port Vale and it’s a numbers thing to get another body in.”

City picked up a point in a tense encounter at The Tameside Stadium on Monday after Colby Bishop had given them the lead, only to be pegged back by an own goal.

City keeper Ethan Ross had been the hero in the first half, saving a 17th-minute penalty.

City’s Jordan Keane tripped Paul Ennis to concede the spot-kick but Ross dived to his right to deny Ennis’ effort.

City came out firing after the break and took the lead nine minutes into the second half, thanks to a stunning strike from Bishop.

The young forward cut inside and twisted past his man before firing low past Curzon keeper Cameron Mason from 20 yards.

But the lead only lasted eight minutes as Ryan Hall burst down the right hand side for the hosts before driving a low cross across the face of goal.

City full-back Andy Gallinagh couldn’t react fast enough to turn it away from goal and it trickled across the line.

Cieron Keane had a golden chance to nick all three points at the death but couldn’t get enough power into his shot and the Blue and Whites were forced to settle for a point.

Heeley was full of praise for his players and said a draw was a ‘good result’ coming just 48 hours after his side played out a 0-0 draw against FC United of Manchester.

“We have walking wounded in there, lads who are dead on their feet as you would do with two games in 48 hours,” he said.

City travel to Alfreton on Saturday (kick off 3pm) looking for their first win in eight games to climb away from the National League North drop zone.

Heeley will welcome back Sam Oji after a three-game ban and said he was ‘hopeful’ James Chambers will be available for selection.

“I think results will come once we have the full compliment of players available to us but equally I am proud of the efforts the lads have put in,” he added.

Last Saturday, City had a golden chance to end their winless sequence, only for Steven Craig to have a second-half penalty saved against FC United at the Victoria Ground.

The award came after Keane was tripped in the box on 70 minutes but Craig saw his kick saved by Adriano Basso in the FC United goal.

City had to battle with a depleted squad, with Heeley having only four subs, but they gave it their all.

Chekaine Steele had a great a opportunity but fired straight at the FC keeper before he smacked a 20-yarder against the inside of the post.

FC United, too, found the frame of the goal when Jason Gilchrist hit the post from 20 yards.

Buy Photos

Buy photos online from the Worcester Observer newspaper.

Book an Advert

Book your newspaper advert with our online advert creation tool.

Digital Advertising

Advertise on the Worcester Observer to boost your online presence.

Online Editions

Catch up on your local news by reading our e-editions on the Worcester Observer.