19th Jan, 2021

City slickers beat league leaders Chorley

Worcester Editorial 13th Sep, 2014 Updated: 19th Oct, 2016

FOR THE first time since the start of the 2012/13 season Worcester City secured a hat-trick of home wins after an impressive 2-0 success over Chorley today (Saturday).

A spectacular Ellis Deeney strike and a simple tap in from substitute Tristian Dunkley with three minutes to go gave City a deserved win against their newly promoted and taple-topping rivals at Aggborough.

Worcester controlled the game from the start and could have won by a bigger margin, but their third home success in a row see’s Carl Heeley’s side climb to ninth in the Vanarama Conference North.

After a confident opening five minutes for the hosts Graham Hutchison had the first half-chance of the game when he climbed highest to reach a Danny Jackman corner but the defender’s header looped over the top.

Daniel Nti was a whisker away from bagging his fourth goal of the season after 19 minutes when he attempted to poke home a Sean Geddes through ball however the striker saw his effort dribble just wide.

A minute later skipper Deeney burst into the box but fired over from another Jackman cross before Mike Symons had a header destined for the bottom corner well held by Sam Ashton.

The villain on Tuesday night when he received a straight red card after ten minutes, Deeney certainly made amends after he picked the ball up on the right and curled an absolutely unstoppable effort into the top corner to give Worcester the lead after half an hour.

Nti was proving a real handful for The Magpies back line and fired wildly over the bar from just inside the box before he had appeals for a penalty waved away after going down under pressure from Adam Mather.

Heeley’s men were getting stronger and stronger as the half wore on and Nti flashed an effort just across the face of goal with Geddes also going close from a free-kick a minute before referee Ollie Yates brought proceedings to a close.

The Blue and Whites started the second period where they left off and Connor Gater tried an audacious lob from fully 30-yards which beat the keeper but bounced just over a minute after the restart.

Some of Worcester’s football was to be admired by the table-toppers and Symons, Jackman and Deeney combined well to present Geddes with a chance which he smashed narrowly too high.

Gary Flitcroft’s side were lucky to still be in the game but could have equalised after 56 minutes when Darren Stephenson found space inside the City box and flicked a header just past the near post.

If anyone’s work deserved a goal it was Nti and the striker again came close two minutes later when his curled effort from the edge of the box was acrobatically tipped behind by Ashton.

With 12 minutes to go Symons tricked his way into the Chorley box from the right hand side but poked his effort straight at Ashton before Dale Whitham headed wide for the Lancashire outfit.

The points were secured for Heeley’s men with just minutes remaining and it was a swift counter-attack which saw substitute Nick Wright burst down the left-hand side and square the ball for fellow newcomer Dunkley to tap home with the goal gaping.

Manager Heeley said: “Its brilliant, there’s nothing better than winning games of football.

“We set ourselves a little target before Tuesday’s game against Lowestoft to try and get six points and we’ve achieved that so were delighted.

“The pace of Nick Wright and Tris Dunkley when there’s tired legs they are a potent threat and we knew with Chorley pushing on to try and get an equaliser, we knew on the counter they would be a major threat and it proved to be.”

Attendance: 551

To see how the game unfolded in our live blog, click here.

Reader Travel

Check out all of the latest reader travel offers to get your hands on some free gifts.

Buy Photos

Buy photos online from the Worcester Observer newspaper.


Weddings, Birthdays, Bereavements, Thank you notices, Marriages and more.


Find a career you'll love with our free career finder website.