FIRE chiefs are warning people about the dangers of over-charging e-cigarettes after one caused a fire to break out in a city home.
Two fire engines from Worcester attended the blaze at a house in Lincoln Green just after 6pm yesterday (Sunday).
Nobody was injured and the flames were quickly extinguished, but station commander, Alan Haley, from Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service’s community safety department, said the consequences could have been far worse.
“Thankfully no-one was injured in this fire, however, it could have been much worse which is why I want to use this case to stress the importance of people not leaving electrical items such as e-cigarettes on charge while they are away from the house or asleep,” he said.
“Our advice for e-cigarettes is the same as for many smaller electrical appliances such as mobile phones and laptops – don’t be tempted to buy cheap unbranded chargers, don’t leave them to charge while you are out of the house or asleep and keep them well away from flammable materials.
“It is important that when you are out or are asleep at night to close all doors.”
“We would also like to remind people to have a working smoke alarm on every level of their home and to test them on a weekly basis.”
The fire service has issued a number of other tips to stay safe:
Never leave e-cigarettes on charge unattended for long periods of time
Only use the charger supplied
Charge the device on a flat, solid and stable surface, such as a kitchen worktop
Don’t exceed the recommended charging time
Keep the device way from flammable or combustible materials when charging
Never leave the device on a bed or close to soft furnishings, or in a cluttered space
Ensure you purchase your e-cigarette from a reputable sources
Check the e-cigarette carries CE certification
Keep e-cigarettes out of the reach of children
For more information on fire safety, visit www.hwfire.org.uk