Smoke alarm warning after family escapes from caravan blaze - The Worcester Observer

Smoke alarm warning after family escapes from caravan blaze

Worcester Editorial 14th Apr, 2014 Updated: 19th Oct, 2016   0

A FAMILY had a lucky escape after a blaze broke out in their caravan.

Two fire engines from Worcester were called to the scene in Offerton Lane just after 4.30am on Monday (April 14) and crews wearing breathing apparatus used a hosereel jet to extinguish the flames.

But fire chiefs are urging people to make sure their fire alarms are working after it was found the device in the caravan had no battery in it.

Station commander, Ian Jallands, said the consequences could have been a lot worse.




“The occupier of the caravan managed to evacuate his family before using a garden hose to spray water onto the fire through the open door, which helped to control the flames until the fire crews arrived,” he said.

“Once the firefighters had put the fire out they vented the caravan of smoke.


“The family were extremely lucky to survive the fire, which was thought to have been caused by an electric fan heater left on all night.

“Although there were two smoke alarms fitted in the caravan, the smoke alarm positioned directly above the fire had no battery in it. It was only by chance that the daughter awoke and alerted the adults, averting a certain tragedy.”

The fire service recommends people test their smoke alarms weekly.

Reader Travel

Check out all of the latest reader travel offers to get your hands on some free gifts.

Advertising

Advertise with the Worcester Observer to reach your audience

Announcements

Weddings, Birthdays, Bereavements, Thank you notices, Marriages and more.

Subscribe

Receive a weekly update to your inbox by signing up to our weekly newsletter.