Monument unveiled in poignant tribute to Worcester Second World War bombing victims - The Worcester Observer

Monument unveiled in poignant tribute to Worcester Second World War bombing victims

Worcester Editorial 27th Jul, 2023   0

A SCULPTURE which serves as a poignant reminder of the only fatal German attack on Worcester in the Second World War has been unveiled.

The leaf-shaped monument has been created by local mosaic artist Victoria Harrison and is the centrepiece of the newly-regenerated Meco Memorial Nature Park.

The nearby Mining Engineering Co Ltd (Meco) works factory suffered a devastating bombing raid by a German aircraft on October 3, 1940, with German forces machine-gunning the surrounding area.

Seven workers were killed in the attack with 50 more injured, while the works paused production for five days after the raid.

The Meco works originally produced mining equipment but also contributed to the war effort by manufacturing surge drums for barrage balloons and, later, a form of track material used for supporting military vehicles over soft ground.




It is believed the factory was deliberately targeted by the Germans.

The new memorial honours the lives of the Meco employees who died in the attack- Albert Edward Williams, William Hulme, James Williams Perry, Williams George Ricketts, George William Lee, Thomas Charles Santler and Louis Clement Defaye.


Doris Tindall, who lost her sight in the raid, is also commemorated.

Irene Allen, who narrowly escaped injury on the fateful day, unveiled the new memorial at the moving ceremony.

The 95-year-old was joined by more than 20 descendants and relatives of the victims of the attack.

Historian Dilip Sarkar MBE, who was a member of the Battle of Britain Memorial Trust and the author of more than 50 books about the Spitfire and the Battle of Britain, was the keynote speaker at the event.

St John’s Coun Richard Udall was the sponsor of the project to refurbish the Meco Memorial Nature Park, previously known as Sanctuary Park, and create the new memorial sculpture.

He said: “The attack on the Meco works had a devastating impact on the people of St John’s, with seven workers losing their lives and 50 people injured.

“This terrible attack has never been forgotten and it is only right that we now have a lasting memorial in place.”

Jill Glover, the granddaughter of Albert Williams, attended the ceremony.

She described her grandfather as a hero in her family and said it was fantastic others killed in the attack were now being recognised.

Public Notices

View and download all of the public notices in the Worcester Observer.

Subscribe

Receive a weekly update to your inbox by signing up to our weekly newsletter.

Reader Travel

Check out all of the latest reader travel offers to get your hands on some free gifts.

Announcements

Weddings, Birthdays, Bereavements, Thank you notices, Marriages and more.