CITY firefighters will stage their first 24-hour walkout later this week as the row over proposed changes to pensions rumbles on.
The strike is set to begin at 9am on Thursday (June 12) with another seven-hour walkout planned for Saturday, June 21 after talks between the Fire Brigades Union and government broke down.
Chiefs at Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service said plans had been put in place to make sure they could still respond to incidents, but urged people to be extra cautious as they would prioritise the most urgent calls.
Area commander Keith Chance said: “While the industrial action is on-going we will still be responding to 999 calls, but we will be asking members of the public to take extra steps to reduce the risk of a fire breaking out in their home.
“This is the first 24 hour strike being taken by the FBU during this dispute and we appreciate that members of the public may be concerned by this, however, I would like to reassure them that we will have plans in place to cover this strike period.
“We would ask people to ensure they have working smoke alarms in their homes as this can provide them with an early warning if a fire should break out in their home. We have lots of fire safety advice for residents and businesses on our website www.hwfire.org.uk Above all else please remain vigilant.”