A DRUNKEN man who wrongly alleged he was assaulted by a security guard at The Hive has been temporarily banned and forced to apologise.
The incident happened about 8pm last Monday (February 10) when officers were called to the library following reports a 20-year-old man had been restrained with undue force.
Officers spoke to witnesses at the scene but it became apparent the man was drunk and behaving aggressively and the security guard had been doing his job correctly.
Police said the man had now accepted he was in the wrong, had received a temporary ban from The Hive and was told to write letters of apology to the library.
He has also written an apology to the police following an inaccurate and libellous internet blog criticising the officers actions during the event.
PC Alex Denny, who dealt with the incident, said: “I have explained to the young man the perils of misusing social media and the terrible damage it can cause.
“The inaccurate account of the incident was shared by nearly 1,000 people, many of whom would have assumed it was a true and official record of what happened and taken it at face value.
“This matter has been dealt with expeditiously, and a valuable lesson has been learned by this young man, and hopefully others, to think carefully before posting such blogs and messages.”