Moore is spot on to rescue a point - The Worcester Observer

Moore is spot on to rescue a point

Worcester Editorial 20th Sep, 2013 Updated: 19th Oct, 2016   0

Worcester City 2 Gainsborough Trinity 2

Skrill North

Jonny Bonell reports from Aggborough

ETHAN Moore’s injury-time penalty snatched a dramatic draw for Worcester City when they hosted Gainsborough Trinity on Tuesday night.

Moore dusted himself down to score from the spot after being bundled over in the box in a game that saw City twice come from behind to earn a point.

Trinity striker Rhys Oates scored either side of Exodus Geohaghon’s header to put the visitors in the driving seat at Aggborough, before Moore levelled things up.

The hosts made a positive start but it was Trinity who had the ball in the back of the net first.

However, the goal was disallowed after referee Martin Dexter adjudged that City keeper Jose Veiga was obstructed during the corner.

A defensive calamity led to the hosts falling behind after 26 minutes when after a long clearance out of defence had been allowed to bounce, Geohaghon failed to control the ball and Oates nipped past Veiga to make it 1-0.

A mistake by Graham Hutchison moments later could have allowed the visitors to double their lead but Veiga reacted quickly to deny Conner Robinson, while at the other end both Danny Glover and Nathan Rooney tested keeper Phil Barnes.

Josh Smith’s deep cross drew appeals for handball by the hosts at the start of the second half but the referee said no.

However, Geohaghon rose highest from the resulting corner to draw Worcester level with his first goal for the club.

The giant centre back hit the bar with a carbon copy minutes later, before more slack defending enabled Oates to waltz in from the left – avoid three challenges – and wrong-foot Veiga to make it 2-1 after 62 minutes.

The visitors looked comfortable once ahead but there was drama to come in stoppage time.

In the third of five extra minutes, Phil Trainer – signed from Nuneaton – lobbed a ball to Moore who was nudged over in the box and the referee did point to the spot on this occasion.

Having picked himself up, Moore sent Barnes the wrong way to make it 2-2.

There was still time for one more moment of controversy though as substitute Aaron Williams appeared to be caught by the Trinity keeper two minutes later when trying to go round him, but the referee was not convinced.

The result left City still searching for their first win of the season and sitting in the relegation zone with four points from eight games.

Public Notices

View and download all of the public notices in the Worcester Observer.


Find a career you'll love with our free career finder website.

Reader Travel

Check out all of the latest reader travel offers to get your hands on some free gifts.


Weddings, Birthdays, Bereavements, Thank you notices, Marriages and more.