23rd Jan, 2021

City's wait for an away win goes on

Worcester Editorial 22nd Sep, 2014 Updated: 19th Oct, 2016

THE WAIT for the illusive first away win of the season goes on for Worcester City after they were beaten 4-0 at AFC Fylde on Saturday (September 20).

Richie Allen’s brace sandwiched strikes from Josh Langley and Michael Barnes as the league-leaders ran riot at Kellamergh Park and extended their lead at the summit of the Vanarama Conference North to two points.

A surprise return to the squad to Steven Leslie – who emigrated to Australia at the back end of last season – couldn’t inspire City to find the back of the net, something they have failed to do away from Aggborough so far this season.

Ellis Deeney, looking to emulate his spectacular finish from the victory over Chorley, was close to opening the scoring after five minutes but his 35-yard strike was tipped behind brilliantly by Ben Hinchliffe.

The Coasters settled down and just three minutes later Allen put his side infront when he squeezed past Tyler Weir and Danny Jackman, received a kind deflection off George Williams and fired through the hands of Nathan Vaughan.

Worcester’s inability to beat the keeper on their travels was highlighted again within two minutes of going behind when Graham Hutchison headed a Deeney free-kick marginally over the bar.

And the miss proved to be costly as Langley found space in the visitors box from an in-swinging corner to fire through the defenders and into the roof of the net after 16 minutes.

It could have been worse for the Blue and Whites as Tom Hannigan headed two decent chances the wrong side of the post before Barnes did inflict the damage after 38 minutes when he skipped past Connor Gudger and fired a low drive into the bottom corner.

Jacob Rowe and David McDermott came on at half time for Carl Heeley’s men in a bid to stem the tide of Fylde pressure, replacing Sean Geddes and the returning Leslie.

Michael Potts then came within a whisker of extending the lead further. His outrageous chip from fully 50-yards beat the back-peddling Vaughan but bounced up off the crossbar.

Tyler Weir, who proved a real threat all game, had Worcester best chance after 68 minutes but his effort from the edge of the box was somehow turned round the post by Hincliffe.

And with just seven minutes remaining Fylde did grab their fourth and it was their record-goalscorer Allen who drove home his 100th strike for the club from just inside the box.

Online Editions

Catch up on your local news by reading our e-editions on the Worcester Observer.

Digital Advertising

Advertise on the Worcester Observer to boost your online presence.

Business Directory

From plumbers, to restaurants, we can provide you with all the info you need.

Property Finder 24/7

Search for properties in Worcestershire, Warwickshire and the West Midlands.