STAFF at Worcester Warriors will see their pay cut by 25 per cent on April 1 as Sixways chiefs deal with the ‘unprecedented circumstances’ caused by the spread of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
Owners Colin Goldring and Jason Whittingham made the decision on Friday as a result of the temporary lockdown of Sixways during the five-week period when matches played under the auspices of Premiership Rugby are postponed.
The duo said decisions taken now would ensure, when the country emerged from the other side of the COVID-19 crisis, the club would still be at the heart of the local community to offer strong support from the whole Warriors family.
“The owners, board and senior managers are working around-the-clock to leave no stone unturned in finding solutions which will include accessing any financial assistance available through the Government schemes, which were announced earlier this week and further clarified expected shortly,” he added.
“We are in constant dialogue with Premiership Rugby, our fellow clubs as well as organisations in other sports including football to ensure we have the most comprehensive information available.
“We have long-term plans to make the club sustainable through the development of the Sixways site which is making real progress with the support of our local authority,” they added.
The 25 per cent reduction will not apply to staff below a certain salary threshold to ensure they are protected.
Sixways chiefs have offered as much support as they can to any member of staff who may suffer particular hardship as a consequence.
“We appreciate this is not an ideal situation for anyone but we hope with the support of our loyal and dedicated staff in these difficult and challenging times we can manage our way through this period,” they said.
“Our aim is to plan for the day in the near future when we re-open the gates of Sixways to a full house where we can all enjoy cheering on the boys and the dizzying highs and lows that come with it.
“In the meantime we hope everyone stays safe.”