A FUND-RAISING page in memory of a Worcestershire Royal Hospital nurse who became the third NHS victim of COVID-19 in the county has been launched.
Carlos Sia was a healthcare assistant on Avon 4 but passed away last Friday (May 15) in the Royal’s intensive care unit where he had been cared for over a period of several weeks after falling ill, according to Worcestershire Acute Hospitals NHS Trust.
Both his wife Cindy and daughter Clair work at the Royal and in a briefing to staff seen by the Observer, trust chief executive Matthew Hopkins said: “It is once again my sad duty to share with you the news that we have lost a colleague to Covid-19.
“Carlos had been with our Trust since 2015 and was much loved by his colleagues. His quiet, gentle and respectful nature, his generosity of spirit, his sense of humour and his calming influence also made him popular with patients.”
Writing on the fund-raising Go Fund Me page, organiser Fritzie Darlene called the 62-year-old a ‘truly dedicated NHS nurse’ who would be sorely missed by his wife and daughter in the UK and three sons in the Philippines.
“The disbelief, heartbreak and sorrow the family must be feeling can never be repaired but I am hoping by raising for them will cover the funeral costs and the finances as Tita, Cindy and Siobe will be travelling to the Philippines (with Tito Caloy’s ashes) to reunite with the rest of their family,” she said.
Mr Sia is among more than 100 NHS staff to have lost their lives to the virus during the coronavirus pandemic.
Jodon Gait, 46, died from the virus on April 25 while Malvern-based nurse Julie Omar, 52, who worked at Redditch’s Alexandra Hospital died while self-isolating at home on April 10.
Visit www.gofundme.com/f/carlos-sia-a-true-nhs-hero for more.