16th Nov, 2018

City man jailed for attempting to rape 11-year-old girl

Rob George 9th Nov, 2018

A WORCESTER man has been jailed for up to 18 years after being found guilty of attempting to rape an 11-year-old girl in a city alleyway.

Joshua Beardmore, 25, of Glenthorne Avenue was found guilty of attempted rape and sexual assault by penetration by a jury at Worcester Crown Court yesterday (Thursday).

The assault took place on May 25 in an alleyway off Barker Street when Beardmore grabbed the girl, sexually assaulted her and attempted to rape her. The girl broke free and called the police

Beardmore was arrested at his home a short time later after being identified by the victim. He will serve a minimum of 12 years before being considered for release on licence for the remainder of the sentence.

Det Con Alistair Mulcaster, lead officer in the case, said: “This was a horrific attack on a young girl who has shown great bravery in reporting the incident and supporting the investigation.

“There is no doubt in my mind that Beardmore is a danger to young girls and deserves to be behind bars. His actions will have deeply affected the victim and I hope following this verdict her and her family feel a sense of justice.”

Det Insp Tony Garner from Worcester CID said: “I would like to pay tribute to the officers involved in this case for the professionalism they have shown in such a sensitive investigation and their dedication to ensuring justice was delivered for the victim.

“The judge stated the officers conduct had been exemplary. I have no doubt the public will be grateful that a dangerous offender has been taken of the streets.”

Buy Photos

Buy photos online from the Worcester Observer newspaper.

Property Finder 24/7

Search for properties in Worcestershire, Warwickshire and the West Midlands.

Online Editions

Catch up on your local news by reading our e-editions on the Worcester Observer.

Public Notices

View and download all of the public notices in the Worcester Observer.